CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Santa Claus

Being Christmas time, some of the most often seen symbols are Santa Claus and the Cross. We all know the symbolism of the Cross and the true meaning of Christmas (being the birth of Christ). But, have you ever wondered where the idea of Santa Claus came from? Well the other at the BSU party our intern read us the history of Santa Claus or more precisely named, Saint Nicholas. So Saint Nicholas was a very religious, God fearing man that decided to give gifts to the underprivileged around this time of year to celebrate the birth of Christ, as we do every year. Over the years Saint Nicholas's legacy has continued, but has now become skewed. We have turned one man's sacrificial obedience into a materialistic mythical character. Now Santa Claus is the face of Christmas and we focus more upon Santa and the gifts than we do the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of our Savior. How do you think Saint Nicholas would feel if he knew that his obedience to God has turned into this which has shadowed the celebration of Christ our King? I'm not saying that people who do Santa gifts are wrong but I believe there comes a time in a child's life when they are mature/old enough to understand the true story of Saint Nicholas and the meaning of Christmas.

Anyways that was my blurb about Christmas...so I was rummaging through some of my papers and pictures from this summer and really miss the summer and everybody from Caswell. I love every single person from this summer and miss everybody so much and I really can't wait for reunion now! I thank God that He has put everyone in my path and has allowed me to be a part of their lives also. I came across this promise that we wrote to God and it was somewhat of a wake up call, in that I questioned whether I was living out what I had written. I decided to put it up somewhere that I will be able to read it everyday to just be a constant reminder of how I should be living. Here is what it said...
"Lord, I submit myself to You and am committing myself to You and being faithful to You God. I will not let my relationships, school, work or anything in my life hinder me from having faith in You Lord. Lord Jesus take it all from me, I lift these burdens to You take them and do with me whatever You will. I will be faithful to You and I surrender to Your Will."

Are you surrendering and being faithful?
(Just as a side note: I hope nobody feels as if I am being judgmental towards anybody; I am simply accounting my life and writing things that will be reminders and encouragement for me as I hope they will be the same for you).

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, you gotta check out this website... it is parodies of the Apple commercials with Santa and Jesus... some of them are pretty funny.

http://www.sermonspice.com/cart/?p=bundle&pid=3588