CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 22, 2008

Sin's Round

Have you ever wondered when sin starts? Maybe you've phrased that question like this: How far is too far? For a long time I was under the impression that sin began with the actual physical process of sinning, in whatever fashion that was whether be gossip, etc. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Matthew 5 discusses this issue of sin and when it truly begins. In verses 21-22 Jesus tells us, "You have heard that the ancients were told, 'You shall not commit murder' and 'whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court.' But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell." Furthermore in verses 27-28 Jesus explains again, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart." This passage out of Matthew explains it very clearly, sin begins with your thoughts. For me that is troubling. I control what I am thinking and sometimes it is anger, hatred, gossip, lust, this list goes on and to think, those are all sins. My first objection, which I believe comes from Satan, is "wait, I only thought those things, I didn't actually say or do anything!" According to the Christ that died for my sins, the sins he suffered for began in my mind and unfortunately some I carried out through actions. It is important that we realize that sin begins with the mind and when we find ourselves thinking about sinful things that it is time to then confess and repent. The following poem was written by George Herbert and the title is Sin's Round and it portrays perfectly the beginning of and the execution of sin in our lives:

SORRY I am, my God, sorry I am,
That my offences course it in a ring.
My thoughts are working like a busy flame,
Until their cockatrice they hatch and bring:
And when they once have perfected their draughts,
My words take fire from my inflamed thoughts.

My words take fire from my inflamed thoughts,
Which spit it forth like the Sicilian hill.
They vent their wares, and pass them with their faults,
And by their breathing ventilate the ill.
But words suffice not, where are lewd intentions:
My hands do join to finish the inventions.

My hands do join to finish the inventions:
And so my sins ascend three stories high,
As Babel grew, before there were dissentions.
Let ill deeds loiter not: for they supply
New thoughts of sinning:
wherefore, to my shame,
Sorry I am, my God, sorry I am.
George Herbert
That poem portrays it perfectly, sin begins in the mind and before you know it your sin has grown threefold. My Lord sorry I am, that my sins function in this process. Once you think it, it has already been put into action and it is already sinful. Between these two passages in Matthew Jesus explains to us the importance of repentance and forgiveness. Matthew 23-24 tells us that if we are presenting an offering, wanting to grow in our relationship with God, taking communion, etc. we must "first be reconciled." If there is a personal grievance or bitterness then you have to take care of that before you come into the presence of God. It is important that we love in all facets of our lives including our thoughts, take care of that before it is too late and you are standing before God on judgment day. We are held accountable for our attitudes, our thoughts, and our actions. Are you aware of your thoughts?

0 comments: