CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

"Love 'em..."

For the past year I have been very convicted about something. I have tried to seriously think about how I treat and even think about other people. Unfortunately, that is what I have been convicted about, not that I haven't treated people with love, but what do I really think about them? Have you ever heard or even said, "I love them, I don't like them/can't stand them, but I love them?" I found myself saying that a couple of times over this past year and it never really meant anything to me until I sat down and thought about what exactly I was saying (also by being in prayer and listening to God's word being preached I was able to recognize this). What I have come to realize is that to say that is to completely refute yourself. "Love 'em, don't like 'em, but I love 'em." Really? What does it mean to love? To love somebody is the greatest commandment according to Jesus, so it is nothing to take lightly. Again, 1 Corinthians says that the greatest thing is to love. So what does it mean to not like somebody, can you really love them if you don't like them? I think the answer to that question is no. Love is something so powerful that it should overcome any 'imperfections' that someone might have or even annoyances. Yes, people in my life annoy me and can get on my nerves and do things that I do not like, BUT love is something that overcomes those petty emotions and overrides my initial thoughts. 1 Corinthians 13 defines what Love is and what all Love overcomes; therefore, to say that you don't like somebody but you love them is incorrect. Everybody will do something that annoys you and that you don't like, but Love can and will overcome those feelings so embrace it, pray for patience, and learn to love as Christ Loved us! When we sin we directly disobey and even offend God, yet he looks upon the sacrifice of His SON and Loves us enough to forgive and accept us. When you experience the forgiveness, grace, mercy, and LOVE that was shown to us only then will you truly understand what it means to love. I can only love because HE first loved me. Patience will come, be in steadfast prayer, learn what love really is and surrender to it. Will you choose to Love as Christ loves?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

God's love is great - so great that we should strive to show everyone that same love!

Great words - much needed!
Miss you!